A survey can be added to a site to allow a user to choose an answer from a listing of options. This is a basic survey functionality whereas one survey is set up for each question. An email message is not sent out when a response is chosen. The survey will tally the amount of answers and a user can choose to display the responses.
Add a Survey
A survey can be added to any page or on the left or right navigational panels.
Click on each section to expand for more information
The Survey tool can be found under Tools Survey
To add a new one, choose 'New - Create New Survey' and click the 'Add/Edit Survey' button. To Edit a Survey choose the survey from the drop down menu and click the 'Add/Edit Survey' button.
3. Enter the specific information for the survey:
- Survey Question - Enter the question for the survey
- Survey Access - Choose an option from the drop down menu. Choose Public if anyone can make a choice on the survey or choose Members if the survey is just for members of the site.
- Survey Status - Choose an option from the drop down menu. Choose 'active' for the survey to show on your pages, choose 'inactive' if you do not want the survey to show.
- Survey Return Page - If the survey is being added to a content page of the site, enter the URL for the survey in this field. (If the content page hasn't been created yet, leave this field blank. Then edit the survey when the URL has been created and enter it into the box.
- Survey Submit Button Text - Enter the text to appear on the button a user will click to submit their choice.
- Survey Start Date and Survey End Date - This field is optional. Choose the beginning and ending dates for the survey to show the survey on a certain date. This will work well if you have a daily survey question and would like to create a lot of them at one time. As the date comes, the survey will be activated.
Enter the different options for which a user can choose. There is the ability to add 10 different options. Those options can be added to fields 'Answer Choice 1' to 'Answer Choice 10'. If the survey has been used, the vote tallies will show next to each item option.
The 7 fields after the answer choices are to set up the formatting (the look and feel of the survey). The fonts, widths, and background colors can be selected so the survey can match your site.
The final fields are for the results of the survey:
- Show Results Phrase - There will be a link for the user to click to view the results of the survey. The text for that link can be customized. Enter the text you would like to show on the survey.
- Show All Surveys Phrase - There can also be a link for a user to see the results of all surveys. The text for that link can be customized and entered here.
- Include Messages - This allows you to choose if you would like the option for the results to show or not. Select from the drop down menu if you would like all the results to show, only the results from this survey to show or no results.
- Survey Results Bar Chart Color - Add a hexadecimal color for the tally bars for the results.
Click the button to create the survey.
Copy the cf tag from the results page.
Paste the tag where you would like the survey to appear. If you are adding it to a content page, choose 'add or edit content' and paste the cf tag into the 'Text or HTML to appear on this page' box. If the survey is going on a navigational panel, choose 'add or edit category' and paste the cf tag into the 'script for this category' box.
Example of Survey and Results